French butter cream is so different then the American butter with sugar mixed in. This is a very creamy almost moose like icing. Light fluffy holds up well a wonderful concoction! I could eat a bowl of it lol. It sounds daunting but it’s easier then it sounds. The trick is the syrup .. Don’t over cook or you end up with caramel. You can make any flavor by adding extracts. You’ll love this one!
1/3 csugar( granulated )
How to Make French butter cream icing
- Soften butter to room temperature
- Place water and sugar in small sauce pan turn onto medium high and let boil down .. Do not stir just let it boil for about 4 minutes until it hits 245°ish. ( if ya drop a drop into cold water and it forms a soft ball it’s done.
- While boiling syrup ..sugar and water mix… Place egg yolks in mixer and whisk until pale yellow about the time it takes to boil syrup.
- Lower speed on mixer with yolks and SLOWLY pour in syrup into egg .. Slow and small stream. This will cook the eggs but if ya pour to much ya end up with sweet scrambled eggs. Lol
- raise speed of mixer once all syrup is added and Continue to beat for about 4-5 minutes. It will thicken a little and be a pale cream color.
- Lower speed a bit and gradually add 2 tablespoons at a time of butter into the yolk mixture. Allow 10- 15 seconds between adding. Continue until it’s all in and beat until well mixed. You will see when it comes together
- If making chocolate. Add 1/3 c coco powder to yolks before adding syrup. Just let it mix in as you mix in syrup
If other flavoring used add about half way through mixing butter in