In this update on a Colonial favorite, rum meets the old-fashioned fruit-and-vinegar infusion known as a shrub. There’s no added sugar in this cocktail—we like its tangy edge, but if you prefer something a little sweeter, you can add 1 teaspoon of simple syrup to the cocktail shaker.
Game plan: The Cranberry-Apple Shrub takes two days to infuse, so plan accordingly.
- 2 ounces dark rum
- 1 ounce Cranberry-Apple Shrub
- Ice cubes and crushed ice
- Fresh cranberries, for garnish
- Combine the rum and shrub in a cocktail shaker with a handful of ice cubes. Shake until thoroughly chilled, about 30 seconds.
- Strain the drink into a highball glass filled with crushed ice. Garnish with a couple of fresh cranberries.