Blue Ribbon Recipe
The aroma of this chicken soup while cooking makes you practically giddy to fill up your bowl and give it a try! It’s creamy and filled with Southwest flavor. Easy to make, this is guaranteed to warm ya up on a cold night.
- 1 largerotisserie chicken, boned and skinned
- 1 pkgcream cheese (8 oz)
- 1 pkgtaco seasoning mix
- 1 largestalk celery, sliced thin or chopped
- 2carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 can(s)petite diced tomatoes (14.5 oz)
- 1 can(s)mild green chilies (these come in small cans, 4 oz)
- 1 qtchicken broth
- 1 smallyellow onion, chopped
- 4+ cwater (as needed)
- 1 pkgshredded cheddar, jack or Mexican blend cheese (8 oz)
- ·salt and pepper, to taste
- 1-2avocados, sliced (optional)
- 1 pkgtortilla chips
How to Make Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Break up boned chicken into bite-sized pieces.
- In a large soup pot, combine all ingredients except the tortilla chips, shredded cheese, and the avocados. Cook over medium heat until soup comes to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for a couple of hours, stirring occasionally.
To serve, put tortilla chips in the bottom of a bowl. Ladle hot soup on top. Sprinkle with cheese and add avocado slices, if desired.
This is terrific served with cornbread or cheese bread.